Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Rainbow Connection

{The Rainbow Connection}
Graduation program ... A ceremony like no other.
The teachers and staff in a row outside the auditorium - Cheering for you Liz!

"The Rainbow Connection"
Tory Christensen - vocals/guitar
Kurt Gustufson - Bass


Reception ...
**************************
Reflections on a memorable day ----
My husband is a high school counselor. He has been for the last decade. I’ve been amazed over the past 10 years at how many kids he has helped and lives he has touched. I can remember one Halloween he called me from work and told me we would have guests for dinner and for trick-or-treating. It was fun to meet the kids he brought home (a freshman and his little brother) who had just been placed in a foster home and were struggling to make sense of their lives. When the night was over, we packed them an overnight bag – toothbrushes, shampoo, and other things they might need. We hoped that dinner and trick-or-treating and a new toothbrush might make their night a little better. After they left, we said a prayer for them - we say our prayers often for kids at high school.

Our prayers lately have been for a senior named Liz. She is dying of cancer and is not expected to live much longer. I don’t know her personally but have been touched by her courage, positive attitude and passion for life!

Yesterday was her graduation ceremony from high school. The school held a special ceremony just for her. I’ve attended many graduations and this was like no other. I cried really hard – I think everyone there cried. It was an event I’ll never forget. 650 people packed into the high school auditorium full of friends, family, teachers, students and members of the community. It was a very touching celebration.

She asked my husband to sing as part of the event. He surprised her with - “The Rainbow Connection” I don’t think there was a dry eye in the room. … Someday we’ll find it the rainbow connection the lovers the dreamers and me.

Liz, thanks for being so brave and for living your life with such courage and grace. I don’t know you personally but I will never forget you. You left your footprints on my heart.
Thanks for being a beautiful rainbow ...

6 comments:

Olivia StClaire said...

Wow....... I'm sitting here with tears in MY eyes. Wow.... This really touched me in so many ways. What a wonderful husband you have - & what a wonderful partner you are to embrace & participate in what he does. And Liz... she may have a short life... but what a legacy. We should all be so lucky to touch people in such a way as she touches people who don't even know her... people who will remember her.

What a wonderful post. My heat pump just died & I was having a poopy day.. this put it all in perspective. Thanks!

Jennica said...

That was so neat and inspiring! wow, ....I just wanted to check with you because you had signed up to take a class for Music Leading. We are doing it tonight at the church, 7pm, taught by Irene Maxfield. If you would like to come will you shoot me an email.
Thanks Wendy

Sara said...

Thank you for sharing such a touching event and letting me know just a little about this remarkable girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm touched and I wasn't even there. I'm sure Tory was amazing. what a sweet post Wend!

Wendy Christensen said...

O. Joy - I hope your home is warm again.

Jennica - thanks for the reminder about the music class.

Sara - Liz is an amazing gal...

Erica - Thanks! The kids and I came home that night and talked about how wonderful it is to be alive and how thankful we are for good health. Then we said our prayers for Liz and her family. It was a very touching event.

Jennie Stanfield said...

Wow, I'm bowling like a baby. That must have been some graduation...those kind of events always make me so thankful for the beautiful moments we have each day...and to celebrate life!