Friday, February 13, 2009

A Valentine for the Homeless ...

My kids are convinced that the homeless guy we see walking on the streets each day lives in the park behind our house. (This particular park has a row of trees that would provide the perfect shelter for the hobo).

Tonight, they asked if we could all run down to the park and play for a bit. So off we went to the park with the ‘forest’ full of giving trees.

Once we arrived at the park … my daughter (who is 6) said: “Be careful Mom the hobo lives down here and we don’t know if he’s home!”

It was freezing and getting dark – I walked down to the trees to round everyone up for the walk home. My son Kaleb shouted:“Mom, come see what we built!”

There in the little forest in the park behind our house, was a house (made out of an old tree and some boards they found) for the homeless stranger. My kids informed me that he would now have a nice place to spend Valentine’s Eve.

Happy Valentines Day! ... And homeless guy if you do happen to stop at the park tonight for a place to sleep - feel free to use the little house built by my kids!! :)

Thanks Kade, Kaleb, Colby and Lauren for reminding me that Love makes the world go round ...

3 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Those are definitely thoughtful kids. I probly would've avoided that park at all costs when I was younger

Author Beginnings said...

Barbaloot - Hi! I was really touched by their desire to help the Homeless guy have a special Valentine's Day. I don't believe he really lives at this park - but my kids like to think he has a HOME and this is the best place they can imgaine for him :) ... It was a great moment - I love children and their ability to share love!!

kuhkjhkh said...

aww that is the cutest story!! how sweet of your kids!