Monday, December 04, 2006


(That's me ... thinking about the Thinking man)
Life (like art) is subjective …

Have you ever heard the phrase: art is subjective?
Have you ever really thought about that? I have.

I think it’s safe to say that life (like art) is subjective as well.
We all see things differently and experience the daily happenings from our own view point and perception.

During my freshman year in college, I took an art class and really enjoyed it. It was an Introduction to art 101 class and we spent most of the class time studying the artistic masters such as: DaVinci, Van Gogh and Monet. Some of their pieces were touching to me and others were random and not as interesting I learned about these art pieces via a book and photos on its pages. So my exposure to the art was quite limited.

Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to visit Washington, D.C. and on my last day there I was able to have a ‘speed pass tour’ of some of the D.C. attractions.

One of my very favorite places – was an art museum. I only had a couple of hours before I had to catch my departing flight but the few moments I had in that building changed my entire perception of art. I almost cried a few times – there is something really beautiful about seeing someone’s work – for real (and not on the pages of a book). I could have spent an entire day in that museum! This beautiful, old building held treasure after treasure of the ‘master’s work’. It was an inspiring time for me.

Wouldn’t it be neat if we each had a museum for people to visit – containing the ‘art’ of our lives? I wonder what it would hold – maybe our fingerprints, our dreams in a big crystal ball, maybe our tears in a bottle, or our laughter on tape and possibly it would contain a few security guards to keep the items safe? (There were a lot of guards in that museum!) No, this was not a hands-on museum. It was NO touching (period).

It’s fun to think about the things we would want to have remembered about our lives…And comforting to know that there are some things we can leave behind. Like our love, our kindness, our memories in a book or pieces of art we sculpted from clay.

No matter what we leave behind, it’s pretty evident that our lives are a work of ART …
And how we paint, sculpt or create it - is up to us!

Enjoy creating your artistic museum …!

PS -
Below are some web sites to explore …
http://www.mos.org/leonardo/
http://www.vangoghgallery.com/
http://webpages.marshall.edu/~smith82/monet.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading all your blogs and seeing the photos you put with them, I couldn't help but think what an interesting 'museum' your life will be when you look back. It will be full of little moments that you made matter. They didn't have to matter, but you made them special with your little bit of extra effort. Like the effort you put into your Mary Poppins costume. How many of us would have thought something like that would be too much time to bother with? But you made a memory and a contribution to your growing 'museum'.
It really IS the "little moments that matter"...our lives are simply a series of little moments strung together. We get to either ignore them and just get through the day, or pay attention to them and make them special, make them MATTER! What a great metaphor you made from that museum experience... we are becoming artists, creating pieces of memorabelia for the museum of our lives with every action we take, every effort we expend, every thought we think. To live deliberately and actually CHOOSE those actions, efforts and thoughts is to live fully and to take control of the kind of museum we create during the time we have. It would be good for us to remember that our time to create our museum is limited. One day, our time will run out. What a great moment that will be when we can look back with no regrets because we chose to live deliberately!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I need to write something profound here in this blogging space...

I love that you can take ordinary moments, events and experiences and go far beyond ordinary thought...you do far more than just live--you experience.

Jennie Stanfield
(Wendy's younger sister)

Wendy Christensen said...

I owe a great deal of appreciation and gratitiude to Jon & Taya Borrowman for helping make my trip to DC unforgettable!! :) ...