Monday, January 29, 2007



GEORGE STRAIT (The Texas Singing Cowboy) …

Well I’ll be looking for eight when they pull that gate,And I’m hoping that judge ain’t blind.Amarillo by morning, amarillos on my mind.
(Lyrics from Amarillo by Morning)

Warning: Reading this entry may compel you to wear cowboy boots
and dance the two-step …

Ever notice how music has a powerful way of pulling us into the past? Certain songs remind us of falling in love, learning to dance or where we were the moment we heard certain songs. It seems to me that moments accompanied by a song – are guaranteed to last. It’s almost as if songs serve as time machines transporting us back to places we’ve been and things we felt and learned.

It’s fascinating. Thank heavens for music and songs that add magic and emotion to our lives! Saturday night, my husband and I were able to attend a George Strait concert in Tacoma, Washington.

And as we sat in that huge arena with the other 22,000 George Strait fans, I couldn’t help but remember how his songs (through the years) have made a difference in my life…

There are a few George Strait songs that transport me to days gone by. Come on – Let’s take a walk down ‘Strait Song Lane’ - When I hear the following songs, I am transported back to college: Ocean Front Property, Baby Blue, You Look so Good in Love, The Chair, It Ain’t Cool, and The Fireman. (Thanks to those songs, I learned a lot about myself, about relationships and about the art of country dancing) …
I attended college in Idaho and the town was full of cowboys, Wranglers and George Strait fans! My roommate and I were so enchanted with the ‘cowboy flavor’ we decided to start a country dance club (on campus). The opening night, we must have had 500+ students sign up to learn the two-step, swing and “Going Fishing in the Dark” line dance. We had no idea the response would be so great. I sat at the table (in my cactus Wranglers and cowboy boots) in the college ballroom and sold ‘Country Dance Club’ membership cards. “Welcome to the club – find a partner and dance the night away!” Jenni (my roommate) was the dance pro. She stood on stage (with a microphone) and instructed our new club members on various dance steps – “Slow, slow, quick, quick. That’s the two step everyone!” I can still hear her … And the sound of feet moving and dancing. Luckily, she was able to give me a few dance lessons the night before! I didn’t know the first thing about country dancing and Jenni was committed to teaching me. We still laugh about clearing the furniture out of our apartment and trying to teach me to two-step. Luckily, with the help of a few George Strait songs and Jenni’s patient personality….I was able to conquer the two-step. (Thanks Jenni for teaching me to dance. I will always have fond memories of that year we were cowgirls together.)

I don’t listen to country music all that much anymore… but must admit that George Strait and his songs have a place in my heart.

It’s no wonder he had the northern part of Washington State in grid lock on Saturday night! (It took us 2 hours to go 3 miles) … Was it worth it? Absolutely … and my guess is that all of us were hoping his hits would transport us back to the moments in our lives - the ones we never want to forget!

Can you guess what the final song of his show was?
(Hint: It’s the one about the cowboy riding away…)
Did I sing along – YES!
.....Oh the last goodbyes the hardest one to say.
This is where the cowboy rides away
.

PS -
If you ever get the chance to see this Texas singing cowboy LIVE and in concert - GO. :) (Feel free to wear your boots and hat and ride your horse if you have one!)

George Strait website:
http://www.georgestrait.com/

No comments: