Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Grandma Lichfield ... An amazing woman!

One of my favorite pictures from our wedding day (May 22, 1993)... The kiss - by Grandma & Grandpa Lichfield.
She passed away yesterday and below are a few memories ...

For my Grandma Lichfield –

Brigham City, Utah -

First, I remember as a young girl anticipating the trips to Brigham City, Utah to spend time at Grandma’s house. Her house was so magical to me and I can still smell the flowers leading up to her front porch and see the beautiful garden in the back yard. And whenever I see a mint bush – I think of her and the smell of fresh mint by her backdoor.

She lived right across the street from Kentucky Fried Chicken and whenever we stayed there she made sure we enjoyed a big bucket of hot chicken and biscuits as part of the stay. The chicken always tasted better at her house.

Grandma was wonderful at making children feel welcome! She had special toys up in the closet for us to sleep and snuggle with during our stay. She also had a fun bedroom upstairs with twin beds all made up for us to sleep in.

I’ll always remember bubble baths at her house and the pink flamingo painting that was right next to her tub. I also remember the pig collection she and Grandpa had and how fun it was to visit and check out each one.

I remember taking creative adventure walks with her. She would give me a brown lunch bag and tell me to collect stuff along the way. When we returned home she would help me assemble the items onto drift wood and create a wonderful work of art. Those art pieces sat in her kitchen cabinet for years and reminded me each time I visited of walks and fun we enjoyed together.

I loved looking through her picture books. They were full of family memories and fun times. I loved to have her tell me about each picture and what was going on.

One summer, Grandma taught me how to make roses out of frosting. She could make the most beautiful wedding cakes and she taught me some of her secrets. I remember eating my frosting rose and drinking ‘liquid sunshine’ out of her emerald green cups. In case you are wondering, liquid sunshine was her name for orange juice!

Grandma made the best pancakes! I loved to smother them with her peach jam and sit at the table and listen to Grandpa tell stories.

Grandma had the best hugs – she was always the last one to let go.

When Grandma & Grandpa came to our house to visit -

Grandma and Grandpa made everything fun! When they came to our house to visit (in Richland, WA) they wore matching travel shirts and would take us out to Pizza Hut for dinner.

When I was in high school, they teased me about ‘boyfriends’ and called me ‘Twitterpatted’ …

Mocking Bird Hill in Bedford, Wyoming -

Grandma and Grandpa had this wonderful place in Bedford, Wyoming that they built for family gatherings. I remember a big Lichfield family reunion there and how wonderful it was to all be together.

Family was the most important thing to both of them. And I feel so blessed to be a part of it.

The killdeer bird -

One particular story that I hold dear with Grandma occurred when I was quite young. We were in Wyoming attending a family reunion and my sister, Amy, and I were walking with Grandma. She knew all the names of the flowers and taught us all about the beauty around us. We happened upon some horses that had their legs chained together and we asked her why they were wearing those awful things? She told us they were called hobbles and that kept the horses from running too far away. We thought the word hobbles was so funny! Our walk continued and we happened upon some little birds. One was lying on the ground – barely moving. We picked it up and asked her to make it live and be healthy. She gently scooped the little killdeer into her hands and tucked it inside her coat. It didn’t make it and died in her coat. She helped us gently bury the little bird and told us that everything that is born must eventually pass on…

A little note from me -

Grandma, thank you for the beautiful life you lived and for all the love you showed me. I know that you are in a better place – surrounded by people you love and who love you.

I will miss you and I love you more than words can say. And I can still feel the hugs and kisses you so freely gave! I hope those never fade …

Love,
Your granddaughter,
Wendy Lichfield Christensen
June 29, 2011

1 comment:

Marilee Matheson said...

What a beautiful tribute, Wendy. It makes me want to BE a "Grandma Lichfield" some day and create magical memories for my grandchildren.