Friday, May 08, 2009

I hope you dance ...

Morrie Schwartz and Mitch Albom

There are certain moments in life that leave more of an impression than others do. I really believe this has to do with where we are (emotionally, physically and spiritually) at the time the moment happens and the state of our soul when the event occurs. There are times when a quote, a talk, a smile, a hug, a kind word, or a page from a book hit me in such a way – I can hardly believe I was fortunate enough to bump into it!

The lasting moments linger with us because we connect with them in an emotional way. Our life collides with the external event and becomes etched on our heart forever!

When these times happen, I usually write them down as a way to preserve them so I can use it again for another day in the future. Do you do that too? I suspect the answer is yes and that is why blogging is so powerful and important. We use our entries to collect, share and preserve the things that matter to us!

Today, I bumped into one of my favorite books and just seeing the title of it made me smile and remember the first time I read it! The book is “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. I read this book at a time when my heart/soul really needed it. It was as if Morrie was talking directly to me.

There is a chapter in the book called – The Thirteenth Tuesday We Talk about the Perfect Day
Mitch Albom asks Morrie how he would spend ONE day if he were perfectly healthy. The answer is so beautiful and simple. And just typing about it brings tears to my eyes! His answer was:

“Let’s see … I’d get up in the morning, do my exercises, have a lovely breakfast of sweet rolls and tea, go for a swim, then have my friends come over for a nice lunch. I’d have them come one or two at a time so we could talk about their families, their issues, talk about how much we mean to each other.“Then I’d go for a walk in the garden with some trees, watch their colors, watch the birds, take in the nature that I haven’t seen in so long now.

“In the evening, we’d all go together to a restaurant with some great pasta, maybe some duck – I love duck – and then we’d dance the rest of the night. I’d dance with all the wonderful dance partners out there, until I was exhausted. And then I’d go home and have a deep, wonderful sleep.”*

Mitch Albom then asks – “That’s it?”
I love how this book flows. The next Tuesday, they said good bye. And Morrie passed away….

There are so many things we take for granted – like walking outside, having lunch with a friend, going swimming or dancing.

Last weekend, I was able to attend the Washington State PTA Convention in Seattle, WA and as part of the event they had a big banquet (complete with a DJ, dance floor and dancing)!

I couldn’t get Morrie’s “Perfect Day” out of my mind and as soon as the music started, I hit the dance floor. It was wonderful – I danced all night – like no one was watching!

It felt so good and I realized as I let myself get lost in the music and the crowd how lucky I am (you too) for each new day to - live, love, learn, dream, and dance! Thank heavens for the moments/words/people and books that stay etched on our hearts ! And for the opportunity we have to create 'perfect days'! :)

PS: If you get the chance to sit it out or dance – I hope you dance!

*Excerpt from "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom, page 171.

2 comments:

* said...

I love your thoughts on savoring life, and thanks for sharing bits of "Tuesdays w/Morrie" too. Dance as if no one is watching, right? ;) Love it.

I blogged just today about life & time well (and otherwise) spent.
here's the link:

http://thechocolatechipwaffle.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-book-of-days.html

Btw, found you on Mormon Mommy blogs. and very glad I did.

Shaela said...

so glad you danced... that's always my decision. :)