Monday, July 16, 2007

Introductions …
{Remember to hold your light high}

Introductions play an important role! Not only in life (person to person stranger to stranger) but on the pages of a book as well. It’s as if the page comes alive and talks to the reader.

Introduction: “Hi it’s nice to meet you’
Reader: “Nice to meet you too!”
Introduction: “Would you like to know more about me?
”Reader: “Yes, that’s why I’m reading you here and now.”
Introduction: “Great! Dive right in and make yourself at home.”

The introduction is often times the part of the book that makes me feel the most emotion. I have cried several times after reading an author’s heartfelt words and sentiments and immediately knew that I HAD to have his or her work of art. This happened when I picked up “Life’s Little Instruction Book” by H. Jackson Brown. The introduction to that book is one of my all time favorites! Five out of five stars in my book…

I can honestly say that writing an introduction to a book is my favorite part of the book. If I can write an introduction, I can write the book.

Below is the introduction I wrote for It’s the Little Moments that Matter – (Now we’re not strangers anymore!!)

Introduction

Are there dust mites in heaven?

MomentA time or period of success, excellence, satisfaction

Did you know that your house is filled with dust mites? I didn’t realize that until recently. My oldest son came home from school with a Bug Encyclopedia and together (my two sons and I) read through it.

I was horrified when we reached the page about the house dust mites. We discovered that there was no escaping them – It was a ‘dust mite invasion’ discovery!

According to the book, we breathe them in constantly. My sons were so excited by this information, they opened their mouths and inhaled as many of the dust mites as they could! Their excitement was contagious and before I knew it, the three of us were slurping down the dust mites! It was a beautiful moment full of love and laughter! Sometime later, out of the blue (we were driving) my younger son asked me if there were house dust mites in heaven. I told him I didn’t know. I also told him it wouldn’t really matter because in heaven everyone is happy – even if we do share our time and space with millions of dust mites! And he said, “Yeah, just like at our house!”

Later that night as I thought about our dust mite slurping episode, our little hugs, our discussion about heaven and the opportunity I have to be the Mother of three beautiful children, I thanked Heavenly Father for the chance I have to be alive!

And just before I drifted off to sleep, I closed my eyes and thought – Life is full of beautiful moments that really do matter! And WOW … I get to choose what to do with them ALL.
From my heart to yours

This little moment matters -
I hope this book will help you recognize and appreciate the little moments that decorate your life. And then I hope you’ll use your little moments to LIVE, LOVE and CELEBRATE each day!

PS -
In my attempt to hold my light high (You’ll read about that in letter H.) I wrote this book to say – Your life matters, you are worth it, YOU really DO make a difference and mostly – It’s the little moments that matter! So cherish them and enjoy every step of your awesome journey called LIFE!

All my hope and love,
Wendy L. Christensen
© 2004 Wendy L. Christensen
All rights reserved.

2 comments:

idahomayos said...

Beautiful introduction! Wendy, I am thankful for the short moments that we shared at Ricks College:) Many times I wish there had been more. I love you! Stacy

Wendy Christensen said...

Stacy, I am sitting here trying to remember how we became frinds in college .... I think we had Biology together and after class we started talking?? Good thing because we had some GREAT times at College :) ... When I think back on all the funny stuff we did - I laugh out loud!! Thanks for being such a wonderful friend and person - I love ya!! :)