Friday, April 20, 2007

Wendy Christensen & Mitch Albom
Book Expo 2006 - Washington, D.C.

Do you remember how you discovered your favorite author? I do! My younger sister had sent my husband a copy of Mitch Albom’s Tuesdays with Morrie for Christmas. I remember thinking to myself that I’d like to read it someday. A few years later, the book resurfaced. I had some time one night to curl up with a book and chose this unforgetable story. I had no idea that this little book would touch my life so much. It is a true, heart-warming, inspirational story about Mitch and his journey to get back in touch with someone very dear and special to him. This important friend (whom he reconnects with) is his old college professor from days long gone. Mitch promised to stay in touch after he graduated from college but life got busy and Mitch forgot about this friend (and his promise) from the past.

Until one day, he heard (via the news) that his friend was dying. He was inspired at that point to get back in touch with his former college professor. Little did he know that this one act would change his life! He ended up spending the remaining Tuesdays of Morrie’s life in Morrie’s home. They talked about love, life, marriage, friends and the importance of making a difference with our time here on earth. Mitch’s interaction with Morrie helped him recognize and appreciate the people in his life and the great gift of being alive. This book remains one of my all-time favorites. (It’s a tear jerker – When I finished the book, I used half a box of Kleenex).

Last year, I had the opportunity to meet Mitch Albom. It was an exciting day for me because I didn’t know we was going to be in the same place at the same time. I was in Washington, D.C. attending Book Expo and received a friendly phone call informing me that Mitch Albom would be doing a reading at 3 pm in room 204. I was so excited! I had mentioned several times after reading Tuesdays with Morrie that I’d like to meet Mitch Albom – in person. I promptly found room 204 and couldn't wait to meet my favorite author!

I enjoyed hearing him read excerpts from this soon to be released book For One More Day and wondered if New York Times best selling authors sometimes felt a little bit vulnerable when sharing a NEW manuscript? Maybe?? Have you ever stood in front of a crowd and shared something you've created? For the record, he was calm, cool and collected... Full of confidence! He read portions of his book for about 45 minutes. I enjoyed every word!

For One More Day is a wonderful book - I highly recommend it :).

His books have touched the hearts of millions (including mine) and I am thankful for the ways that each of his books have added value to the way I live my life.

PS - I did what you would have done ... I thanked him for boldly writing from his heart and for daring to share his life/talents and thoughts with the world. :)

For more information on Mitch Albom and his work please feel free to visit his website:
http://www.albom.com/

No comments: