Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why do we fall?



Thomas Wayne: And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.
~Batman Begins

I love that line and there are times when I use it for myself. We all have this wonderful thing called self talk – it runs constantly at a rate of about 800 words a minute. Even when we talk or watch TV, read or are listening to someone else talk ... our self talk is constantly going. Have you ever paid attention to the thoughts and chatter running through your mind? Try it this week. Tap into the stuff that is playing on your mind stage. It might surprise you. Could there be room for a shift or a reprogramming? If you find that your mind chatter is constantly sending you negative messages – you might want to change them!

How? You ask. It takes energy and work and most of all a desire to change them. I like to use quotes from movies, books and other inspiring things I bump into!
For example – A couple of years ago, a local gift shop asked me to create a card line for them. I did and on the day I took them in for their review and approval – the response was not the one I had anticipated! In fact, I found myself standing in the store with thoughts like this:

“What were you thinking?”
“Never try this again!”
“I’m so not cut out for this!”

And then a little question crept up from my mind ...
Do you like the cards? “Yes!”
Self talk – Then that’s all that matters. (Thank heavens for that positive note from inside my head)!

No need to feel bad. I thanked the Owner for her time and told her I had a great adventure creating the cards and went on my way. No hard feelings. She gave me some insight as to what she was looking for and I assured her that one day – I might just create such a thing!
I hope to one day have my own line of inspirational cards, books and CDs. I continue to learn that the only way to make a dream real is to take action. Win or lose – in order to get somewhere you have to keep on trying!

I chalk that ‘card day’ up as one of the best lessons I’ve learned. You try. You fall sometimes. You try again. Or you don’t.
Ultimately we each decide what we will think and do

5 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

Excellent post. I needed that today. Thank you. You're right--just keep moving forward, right?

Wendy Christensen said...

:) Cheese - Just keep moving forward (one day, one step at a time)!! Happy Wednesday to you!

Have you read the book - "Who Moves My Cheese?"

Wendy Christensen said...

opps - Who Moved My Cheese? That's the right title. GREAT book! :)

Jennie Stanfield said...

Thanks for sharing this Wendy. So true...and really it matters what you like. I think it can take a lot to look at yourself and say, I like me. I like my style. I don't need someone else to tell me who I am because I already know. I don't need someone to tell me what I like...because I decide what I like. And I'm happy to be this person! I love that.

Anonymous said...

your blog and your book very succesful.my name is hayat.when your book come turkey:)