Monday, February 10, 2014

What is love?

One of my favorite portraits of the Savior, Jesus Christ by Liz Lemon Swindle

A long time ago, I was a student in college. One of my classes was English 101. Our Professor gave us a topic for an essay and a couple of days to work on it. The topic was: What is love?

I was young, 18 to be exact and this question caused me to do some deep thinking, reflecting and soul searching. I remember thinking - what a big question. And because I loved to write and wanted to do well in the class, I wanted to write something profound and inspiring. As I think back upon that time, it makes me smile. I had very little knowledge (it seemed to me as to what love was). My experience in the 'love department' was very limited. I had a couple of boyfriends in high school - did that count? I remember thinking - I've had my heart broken. I know that love can hurt the heart sometimes.

On and on my thoughts went. I don't have that essay - wish I did. It would be interesting to see what I finally penned as love back then. Thankfully, I know love has very little to do with boyfriends and romantic escapades.

Time and experience can teach a great deal - I am happy to say that I know what love is and what it can teach along the way ...

Love is patient
Love is kind
Love is understanding
Love lifts you up
Love heals
Love helps
Love inspires
Love mends
Love believes
Love listens
Love forgives
Love endures
Love gives you space and time
Love can make your heart hurt
Love teaches
Love encourages
Love invites
Love remembers
Love cherishes
Love mourns
Love celebrates
Love is unselfish
Love welcomes
Love awakens the heart, mind
Love reaches out
Love enables us to become something better ...

The greatest example of love is from our Savior, Jesus Christ. His entire life was lived for each one of us. His purpose for living was to show us a better way to be and offer us hope by His example and by His atonement for each one of us. His life enables each of us to be able to return to our Heavenly Father and to live in His love forever. His love makes our ability to receive and give love possible.

I am thankful for that knowledge and in turn am able to receive and give love. The kind of love that lasts, the kind of love that lifts, edifies and enables.The kind of love that helps us become our greatest selves.

Love - it matters. In fact, it's all that matters.


No comments: