Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday mornings in Kindergarten ...

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child....~ Forest Witcraft

I have had the awesome privilege of helping in my daughter’s kindergarten class every Thursday for the past school year. Today was an extra special time in the class! I don’t know if it was because we’ll only have one more time together next week or if it’s because we’re all friends and look forward to our 45 minutes together on Thursdays … Maybe it was a combination of both?

We talked about the letters CH and how together they make the CH sound … the kids drew pictures of cherries, cheese and chocolate. We talked about how much we liked all of those foods and our favorite kinds of chocolate.

Tonight is the Kindergarten musical and all the kids were giddy with excitement for the upcoming performance!

“Miss Wendy, will you be there to watch us?” Many of them asked.
“Yes! I’ll be in the front row – wouldn’t miss it for anything” was my reply!

Our time ended and it was time to line up for recess. One by one the kids hug me and tell me they can’t wait for for the program tonight and our time together again next Thursday…
I was teary as I left the school. Only one more week and its summer – I will truly miss my Thursday mornings in Kindergarten.

3 comments:

NaDell said...

I feel the same way. It did take some getting used to them calling me Mrs....
The kids are so sweet and nice.
I love that when I go to the school they all call out my name.
Next year, I won't plan on Mondays though. There are too many Mondays there is no school!

Shaela said...

That is so awesome. I'm looking forward to helping out when my kids are in school, too!

* said...

Excellent thoughts on Kindergarden. Reminds me of the book, "Everything I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarden."

waaaah! Me, too. I've been helping out in my twin's kindergarden class all year. Luckily, we're year-round, so they have class through early July...more time to soak up Kindergarden before it's over. Wahhhhh!