Friday, January 09, 2015

We are all just walking each other home


We are all just walking each other home.

I remember as a kid walking to and from school every day. Early in my grade school education years, I was having problems seeing. My mom took me to the Eye Doctor and we found out I had a lazy eye. In order to correct it, they had to put a black patch over my good eye. Sadly, "Pirates of the Caribbean" did not exist and so pirate patches were not cool.

I believe this eye patch incident happened when I was in the 1st or 2nd grade. I was young and shy and the pirate patch was traumatic.

My mom and younger sister, Amy, would be outside the school each day to walk me home. They wanted to make sure I would be safe with just one eye!

One day, during art, we heard a knock at the classroom door. My art teacher opened the door and to my shock and dismay stood my little sister, Amy.

She was all alone.

My art teacher asked her what she needed and she boldly declared:
"I am here to walk my sister, Wendy, home!"

Embarrassment was an understatement.

I asked her where Mom was and she told me she was taking a nap. Amy figured it was time for me to get out of school so she walked over to get me without her. She wanted me to be safe.

I remember telling her we still had 2 hours left in school and that I could get home just fine. I told her to go back home.

She walked back out of the big classroom door and I watched (with my un-patched eye) her walk down the street towards home.

I was too young to appreciate her act of love and kindness at the time. My insecurity and embarrassment overshadowed my ability to accept her love.

I look back on that tender moment with fondness and gratitude.

It's true - we are all here to help each other home.

It's our choice to let others offer a helping hand, heart or in my case back then - a loving, watchful eye.

Thanks Amy, hindsight is always 20/20 - wish I could have hugged you on that day long ago and left school with you - so we could laugh and talk and share that afternoon together!


With my sister, Amy ...
I love you.







No comments: