Thursday, August 04, 2011

Luck ---

sand dollars ...
Tory and Wendy Christensen - Seaside, OR (hunting for sand dollars) ...

I took my son for a haircut earlier this week and found myself checking out the pile of magazines - The Ladies Home Journal caught my eye with an article about being lucky.

The article offered 3 main points -
1. Lucky people are those who seize the day
2. Lucky people smile and schmooze
3. Lucky people are resilient and persistent

I could hear the hum of the hair buzzer and its melodic sound caused me to drift away to the Oregon Coast and the day my husband, daughter and I were able to find 75+ sand dollars washed up by the outgoing tide.

The article was right – We were lucky people who seized the day. It was our last day at the ocean and we really wanted to go home with some treasure from the sea. We found out that low tide was at 6 am – we set the alarm for 5:30 am. I’m happy to report that we made it to the ocean by 6 am.

As we were walking to the beach, I said to my husband: “I hope I find one whole sand dollar.”

Once there, we were lucky because we saw some other people hunting for treasure and they had an entire bucket full of ‘whole sand dollars’ – we smiled and they told us their secret location so we could get some too. (Cheers to the power of a smile).

We were persistent and decided the adventure at sea was worth it! The only way to the secret sand dollar location was to cross a little ocean river (up to my gut). Burr – but oh it was worth it! We found more sand dollars than I’ve ever seen in my life. It was the sand dollar gold mine.

Luck is up for grabs and we create it. We are already in the right place at the right time – we just need to seize the day and enjoy every moment that comes our way.

No comments: