Friday, March 07, 2008

{Politics and ‘shut down’ mode}

Do you cringe when you hear the word politics? I find that many people do. This word (for some) carries a great deal of emotion, frustration, fear, and often causes people to withdraw from conversation or to go into ‘shut down’ mode. For others it causes outbreaks and vocal outcrys ...

Just so you know… shut down mode is when a person goes to their personal happy land and shuts the rest of the world out. (Exiting to happy land is a convenient and safe place to visit when life gets tough, boring and/or when political views are being discussed).
Are you in happy land now??! :)

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to get more involved in our local government process. This has been very interesting and a learning time for me. First, I will be attending the County Republican Convention tomorrow as a delegate. I’ll let you know how it goes! Second, I took part in a focus group last night with some friends and talked with a gentleman who is running for County Commissioner. It was a great night and we discussed where and how we want our taxes spent, ways to help fight crime, water use, concerns for the direction of our families and other important matters.

It feels good to be part of the American democratic process at work!

PS: I’ll do my very best to stay out of ‘shut down’ mode at the County Convention tomorrow - More details later! Feel free to get involved where you are --- Our country needs YOU.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck tomorrow