Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Put a little love in your heart ...!


A radio moment …

Summer was great – I enjoyed every moment. And now we’re back into school and that means I’m back in the car driving kids here and there and everywhere. Thank heavens for the radio! I appreciate the entertainment and enlightenment that the daily drive mix provides.

Yesterday a song came on the oldies station and it made me think … The lyrics were: Put a little love in your heart and make the world a better place for you and me. Put a little love in your heart.

Then I switched over to a trendy station playing the hits of today: I want your ugly, I want your disease I want your everything as long as it’s free I want your love, love, love I want your love … oh, caught in a bad romance.

Do you feel the difference? I did! One is about putting love in your heart and by doing so helping create a better world for everyone. The later song is all about selfish desires with NO responsibility. Give me what’s free and make me feel good.

It seems to me that the songs, media and trend of today is more about pulling away from kindness, thoughtfulness, and responsibility – it’s more centered about what a person WANTS now. And forget about reaching out with love for another person … that seems to be a lost art form.

Can you tell that these two songs caused me to do some thinking?! Amazing how a song or two can affect a person …

I'm putting a little love in my heart and making the world a better place! You can too – if you want!

Take a good look around
And if you're lookin' down
Put a little love in your heart


History about the song -
"Put a Little Love in Your Heart" is a song originally performed by Jackie DeShannon in 1968, who composed it with her brother, Randy Myers, and Jimmy Holiday. In the USA, it was DeShannon's highest-charting hit, reaching #4 and rivaling the success of her signature song, "What the World Needs Now is Love".

2 comments:

NaDell said...

I completely agree. I love listening to the old songs (meaning before I was even born) so much more than most of the new stuff.
Thanks for sharing this! It puts it right in perspective.

Kylene said...

Amen to this post. I am off to put a little love in my heart!