Friday, June 28, 2013

They gave him 5 minutes ... it was all he needed.

 So inspiring ...!

"We are all who we are – until that moment when we strive for something greater."
~ Brad Meltzer


I always enjoy stumbling upon a good book! My latest ‘stumble’ book is “Heroes for my Son” by Brad Meltzer. I happened upon this book at my daughter’s book fair. I volunteered to help and during a lull in the kid book rush – I found this book. It was the only copy left and it caught my eye.

This book is extremely inspiring and I love his story telling style!  Meltzer starts the book off with a stellar introduction (I’m a sucker for a good intro) and his is one is one of my favorites!

The book then goes on to illustrate real life heroes - a few of them are: The Wright Brothers, John Lennon, Albert Einstein, Jim Henson, Mother Teresa and Pele.

I have to admit that a few of the little write-ups made me cry. I love reading about real-life people who overcome challenges and go on to live a life of purpose and passion.That to me, is what makes a person a hero! 

One such hero is Jim Henson. Apparently, at 17, after being rejected for a job in TV - he noticed a sign on a bulletin board (at the TV station) advertising for a puppeteer. He went to the library, checked out a book on puppetry, built a few puppets, and returned to the station.

He told them he was now a puppeteer and asked them to hire him.

They gave him five minutes.

It was all he needed.

Can you imagine a world without Kermit the Frog or Big Bird?

That one little hero story really inspired me. And reminded me that our dreams matter! And what we choose to do with our ‘five minutes’ makes all the difference.

Thanks Brad for compiling and writing such a GREAT book. I’m so glad I happened upon it at the elementary school book fair.




No comments: